Programs to merge PDFs into a single file
If you are interested in understanding which ones are the best programs to merge PDF into a single file on Windows, macOS and Linux, keep reading: some of them are listed below. Identify what you think can do the most for you and put it to the test now!
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (Windows / macOS)
The first among the programs to merge PDFs which I advise you to consider is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. It is a program from Adobe (the software house that invented the PDF format), through which it is possible to open, view and edit PDF files in various ways, even joining them. It works on both Windows and macOS and is paid (it has prices starting from 18,29 euros / month), but you can try it for free for 7 days.
To download the program on your PC, go to its website and click on the button Trial (7 days). Proceed with the activation of the trial, registering an Adobe account, entering the email address you want to use in the appropriate field, the password and providing the payment data. If you are already registered, you can log in directly. Then wait for the program download to complete.
Once the download is complete, if you are using Windows, april il .exe file obtained and, in the window you see appear on the desktop, click on the buttons Continue e Yes, then log into your Adobe account (if necessary) and click on the button Start installing.
Stai using MacOSInstead, open the package .dmg ottenuto e fai doppio clic sull 'Acrobat Pro DC installer icon located in the displayed window. Then press the button apri, grant program i permits requested and proceed in the same way as I just explained to you for Windows.
Now that, regardless of the operating system used, you see the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC window on the screen, click on the menu Instruments placed at the top and press the button apri che trovi in corrispondenza della voce Combine files.
Then press the button Add located in the center of the screen and select the PDFs you want to merge. If you deem it necessary, you can change the order in which the various documents were arranged by dragging their thumbnails to the position you prefer.
Finally, click on the button Combines present at the top right, then click on the menu Fillet at the top left, select the item Save with name in it and indicates the location where you want to save the output file and the name you want to give it.
PDFill PDF Tools (Windows)
If you are using a PC with Windows, you can also consider contacting PDFill PDF Tools. It is a free utility that allows you to edit PDF files in various ways. It allows, in fact, to merge PDFs by removing unnecessary pages, to divide documents into several parts, to add headers, footnotes and watermarks, to extrapolate images and much more.
To download PDFill PDF Tools on your PC, connected to the official website of the program, click on the link Download located on the left and, in the new page that is shown to you, click on the button Download now placed under the inscription GET FREE Basic Version, then click on the additional button Download Now displayed on the screen.
When the download is complete, open the .exe file obtained and, in the window that is shown on the screen, press the buttons Yes e Next. Next, check the box next to the item I accept the terms in the License Agreement, click on your bottone Next (three consecutive times), on that install and finally, press the button Finish.
If during setup they are downloaded Ghostscript e . Net Framework, don't be alarmed: these are two free components without which PDFill FREE PDF Tools cannot work. Also during setup, be sure to also deselect the others additional software that are eventually proposed to you.
When installation is complete, start PDFill PDF Tools by selecting the appropriate collegamento added to Start menu and click on the button Merge PDF files. Then click on the button Add a PDF file to select the PDFs to merge or drag them into the program window.
Then use the buttons Move up e Move down to arrange them in the order you prefer and save the output document by clicking on the button Save as and indicating the location where you want to save the final file and the name you want to assign it to.
If you are using a Mac, you can merge your PDF documents using Preview, the default application of MacOS for viewing and editing electronic images and documents.
To merge PDFs with Preview, all you have to do is open the first document you want to merge, by right-clicking with the mouse on its icon, selecting the item Open with from the context menu and then that Preview.
Once the Preview window with the document is displayed, if the thumbnails in the left sidebar are not visible, enable them by clicking on the menu Vista located at the top left and choosing the item Miniature da quest'ultimo.
Once this is done, drag the other PDFs to be merged into the sidebar with the document thumbnails and rearrange the various pages as you prefer, by left clicking on them and, continuing to hold down, dragging them to the desired position. To delete a page, click on its thumbnail and press the space bar on the Mac keyboard.
Once your changes are complete, select the menu Fillet which is located at the top left, then the entry Print in it, then choose the option Save as PDF in the drop-down menu located in the lower left part of the new window that opens and indicates the location in which to save the final document.
Other programs to merge PDF into one file
None of the PDF merging programs that I have already proposed has convinced you in a particular way and, therefore, you would like me to suggest you some alternative solutions? No sooner said than done! Find them in the list below!
- PDF Merge Tool (Windows) - is a small free application for Windows operating systems that allows you to merge two or more PDF documents without going through tedious installation procedures. Download it, extract it into a folder (or onto a USB stick) and use it. It is very comfortable!
- PDF Toolkit + (macOS - it is a small (but very powerful!) tool for macOS that allows you to combine, divide and optimize PDFs in a very simple way. It costs € 2,29.
- PDF Shuffler (Linux) - application for Linux operating systems that allows you to merge, divide and organize PDF documents that are given to you through a very simple and intuitive user interface. It's free.
Programs to merge PDFs online
You don't want or can't download and install new software on your computer and, therefore, you'd like to understand what the programs to merge PDFs online, then acting directly from the browser window? Then I suggest you contact the solutions belonging to the aforementioned category that I have reported to you below.
Online2PDF is a great online service that you can consider turning to to unify your PDF documents, as well as to make various other changes to this type of file. It's free and requires no registration to use, but it has an upload limit of 100 MB for a single file and 150 MB if you upload multiple PDFs at the same time (up to 20 can be uploaded).
To use Online2PDF, connect to the home page of the service and click on the button Select files to select the PDFs you want to merge. Alternatively, drag the documents of your interest directly into the browser window.
Then, select the item Merge files give menu to tendin modality which is located at the bottom and choose the merge mode you prefer from the drop-down menu As located next door.
If necessary, you can also reorder the documents by moving theirs icon, while to change the order of the pages within each file just click on the button with the scissors to enable its functionality.
Finally, click on the button Converted, so as to start uploading and then merging the PDFs. Once the process is complete, the output document will be automatically downloaded to your computer.
Other programs to merge PDFs online
None of the programs to merge PDFs acting from the Web that I have already reported to you has convinced you and then you would like me to show you some alternative solutions? No problem. You can find them in the list below.
- iLovePDF - is a web service that allows you to edit and convert PDFs in various ways, so you can also use it to merge them. It is free of charge, but allows you to work on large documents up to 200MB and to process only one file at a time. To overcome these limits and unlock other functions, you need to subscribe to a paid subscription (with costs starting from 6 euros / month). It should be noted that the privacy of users is protected, as the files uploaded to the service are automatically removed from the servers of the latter after a few hours from the upload.
- PDF Candy - is another online solution through which it is possible to make various types of changes on PDFs, even merge them, and perform conversion operations to and from this type of file. However, it does not allow you to upload files with a weight greater than 500 MB. To get around this limit and unlock other extra functions, you need to subscribe to a paid subscription (at a basic cost of 6 euros / month). User privacy, on the other hand, is protected as the PDFs uploaded to the service's servers are automatically deleted within a few hours.
- PDF2Go - this is an additional web service through which PDFs can be merged. It is very easy to use and allows you to upload files with a maximum size of 50 MB. To get around this limit and unlock other functions, you need to create an account and / or subscribe to the paid plan (at a cost of € 5,50 / month). Protect user privacy by automatically deleting uploaded files from your servers.
App to merge PDF
As I told you at the beginning of the guide, there are also some comfortable ones app to merge PDF from smartphones and tablets, both on Android that of iOS / iPadOS, without necessarily having to use the computer. If you are interested, in the list below you will find what I believe to be the best solutions in the category currently available.
- PDF Merge (Android / iOS / iPadOS) - is a cross-platform app that allows you to merge multiple PDFs together by taking them from various cloud storage services and / or to intervene directly within other applications. However, it should be borne in mind that to obtain the unified PDF you have to wait at least 60 minutes. To get around this limitation, you need to make in-app purchases (at a cost of 10,99 euros).
- PDF Tools (Android) - app for Android devices only that offers a specific tool to merge PDFs, but also other tools to split documents, protect them with passwords, unlock them etc. It is free, but offers in-app purchases (at a cost of € 2,49) to access all the functions offered.
- PDF Expert (iOS / iPadOS) - this is a specific solution for iPhone and iPad, considered by many to be one of the most reliable apps in the category, which allows you to view PDFs and make changes of various kinds, then also merge them. It is free, but offers in-app purchases (at a cost of 52,99 euros / year) to unlock all the features.