Before actually seeing how to use Tumblr, my golden seed fornirti alcune preliminary information that will surely be of great help to you to understand what this platform is and how to use it best.
As I mentioned in the introduction of the article, Tumblr is a platform of microblogging with distinctly social functions that allows you to create blogs - called tumblelog - very simply and quickly. Unlike "traditional" blogs, if we want to define them that way, tumblelogs are characterized by the presence of short posts and a lot of multimedia content.
In addition to written texts, you can also publish photos, videos, audio files, links or even simple quotes. The ideal, in short, to create a personal blog in which to pour all your thoughts and the most interesting contents that are on the Net, without who knows what aspirations.
Compared to blogs made with the "classic" CMS (Content Management System), such as the famous WordPress, Tumblr does not offer the possibility of monetizing the contents by inserting advertising banners and - another limitation to be taken into account - does not have ready-to-use plugins that allow you to expand the functionality of your online space.
If everything is clear to you so far and you are still willing to find out how to make the best use of Tumblr, all you have to do is continue reading: in the next paragraphs you will find, explained in detail, how to best use this service both from your computer and from mobile. Happy reading and good luck!
How to use Tumblr on your computer
use Tumblr on your computer, the first step you need to take is to connect to its main page and sign up for it for free, by filling out the form that is proposed to you.
Then click on the button Start and write your e-mail address in the field Email Password and username you intend to use to access your account in the appropriate text fields and click on the button Subscribe, to move forward.
At this point, enter your age in the field How old are you?, metti il segno di spunta accanto alla voce I have read, understood and accepted the Tumblr Terms of Service and, after placing the check mark on the item I'm not a robotclick on your button Done!, to complete your registration.
Next, don't forget to verify your identity by clicking on the confirmation link received via email at the address specified above.
Before you start using Tumblr, you'll have to choose at least 5 categories to follow, among those available on the platform: after selecting them, click on the button Next at the top right and customize the graphics of your blog. To do this, hover the mouse cursor over the icon square at the top left and click on the button Graphic modification, in the opened box.
Now, in the field located on the right, click on the symbol of pencil placed at the cover photo and / or the profilo's photo of the blog, click on the button Scegli a photo and select the image you want to use.
At this point, type the title and Description of your blog, removing the sample text set by default and replacing it with the one you want to set. Next, select the font and colore you want to use on the blog, using the appropriate fields and menus, and save all the changes made by pressing the button Save.
Perfect! Now you can start publishing all the content you want on your tumblelog: to do this, all you have to do is click on one of the buttons in the center of the main page of the service and give vent to your creativity.
- Clicking on Text, you can publish text posts complete with photos, formatting and external elements in HTML.
- Through the button Gallery, you can post photos from your device (up to 10 can be uploaded at the same time), from a URL or take one on the fly.
- By clicking on Quote, you can post a quote (specifying the source).
- With the button Link you can share a site or web page that you find interesting for your followers.
- The function Chat allows you to post conversations, which are automatically formatted by the system in chat style (with different colors from person to person, etc.).
- Il pulsating Audio allows you to post songs from online music services (eg Spotify), upload audio files from your PC or recall them from external URLs.
- Clicking on Video, you can publish or embed a video in your tumblelog.
Each content can be published instantly or scheduled by clicking on the arrow located next to the button Mail and selecting the voice Program give the menu to compare.
Furthermore, it is possible customize the URL and specify the source of the published posts by clicking on thegear which is located at the top right.
In addition to curating your blog, you can also follow those of other users: to do so, click on the icon of compass at the top right, click on category of your interest among those listed in the top menu (eg. Recommended for you, Popular, etc.) and click on the button Follow place in correspondence with the blog you want to become a follower.
When you find an interesting post on one of the tumblelogs you follow, you can I will randomly its content (i.e. republish it on your site) or add it to favorite, using the appropriate buttons located at the bottom right of the same.
How to use Tumblr on mobile
You prefer use Tumblr on mobile? To do this, you simply have to start the official app of the service on your device and practically follow the same instructions I gave you in the previous lines to create the account and customize your blog.
To proceed, therefore, install and start the Tumblr app on your Android or iOS device and first tap the button Start e poi quello Accept.
Then specify, in the appropriate text field, how old are you?, tap on the item NEXT at the top right and indicate what you like, selecting the categories of your interest from those proposed (eg. Quotes, informatics, Instruction, Etc.).
At this point, fai tap sulla voce NEXT located at the top right, presses the button Receive notifications and give the app permission to send you notifications. Next, create your account by tapping on thelittle man at the bottom right, and register with your email: to do so, just fill in the fields e-mail, Password e username, press on the item Done (top right) and follow the instructions that appear on the screen to complete the procedure.
Once you have registered, you can finally proceed with the customization of the blog and the creation of content to post in it: then tap on the icon of thelittle man placed at the bottom right, presses on the symbol of palette which is located at the top right and tap on the element you want to change (eg profilo's photo cover photo, title of the blog, his Description and so on). Remember, then, to save the changes made by tapping the button Save located at the top right.
To create new content to post on Tumblr, tap the button depicting the pencil located at the bottom (in the center of the screen) and, in the screen that opens, choose the type of content to create (eg. Quote, Text, Gallery, etc.) and then publishes the content created using the button Mail.
To search for content and blogs to follow, however, presses on the symbol of magnifying glass which is located at the bottom left and served by the search bar at the top to find the content of your interest.
How to best use Tumblr
We conclude this guide with some practical advice on how to best use Tumblr and, over time, acquire more popularity on the famous microblogging platform.
- Make original posts - this is the first step to success on Tumblr. If you make original, engaging and interesting posts, it is more likely that they will be noticed by community users, who may be incentivized to follow you.
- Use hashtags right - hashtags are words and phrases, preceded by the symbol #, which serve to "label" the contents created. Using the most popular and relevant ones can increase the likelihood that the audience will find the content created and, therefore, the possibility of acquiring new followers. To find the most popular topics (and, therefore, the hashtags to use), you can use the suggestions in the box Popular searches (from computer) or trends (from mobile).
- Interact with others - in addition to being a microblogging platform, Tumblr is also a social network and that is why interaction with other users of the community is essential. That's why you would do well to comment and like others' posts on a regular basis.
If you want to deepen the subject and have some other "tips" on how to use Tumblr in the best way, you can take a look at the guide I have dedicated to the subject.How to use Tumblr