How to recover files deleted from recycle bin on Windows
As already mentioned, restoring files from the recycle bin is very simple if you haven't emptied it. In fact, just click on the icon trash can on the desktop and decide whether to return to his place alone a file, a plurality or all of them.
You can even search by entering the file name in the search bar at the top right, thus avoiding looking for it among the set of documents present. Not only will you be able to click on the item Restore selected (or all) items of the toolbar, but you can even drag them to the desktop or in the desired folder.
If unfortunately the files have disappeared from the recycle bin and you want the quickest way to do it manually, and without downloading programs to recover deleted files from your PC, all you have to do is follow the directions in the next step.
We restore deleted files from PC with shadow copies
Le copie shadow, literally translated as "shadow" copies, are created autonomously by the Windows operating system, when the latter was there qualified. It is backup copies of individual files, folders or a set of folders at a certain time.
First of all, therefore, you must check the presence of the authorization by clicking on Home (Windows logo at the bottom left), type file history, start the search and click on the item Restore files with file history. That is where you will be able to see if there are any files and if so, look for what you want to recover by opening File Explorer and then right clicking on it, choose the Property.
The step to follow for recovering files from the recycle bin is simple:
- Click on the item Previous versions.
- Press on Restore on the version of the file you want to get back.
- Complete the operation by clicking on Ok.
First, if you're not convinced it's the right one, you can even preview it by selecting the item Preview down. However, if you can't locate the deleted file, you can try a general system restoreby clicking on the restore points.In this way you will force your system to make a time jump to a certain date, with the awareness, however, that you will also touch all the other programs on your PC.
Recovery of files deleted from the recycle bin of a Mac
Even the iOS operating systems allow fast recovery of files deleted from the recycle bin, when the latter has not been emptied. In fact, just click on the bottom right icon, search for your files and select them. To get your documents back then:
- Click on the item Fillet top left
- Click on Restore and you will see the files return to their original location / Alternatively, drag them directly on the desktop
Have you already emptied your trash? Don't worry, there is a remedy, thanks to a Mac software to recover deleted files!
Back in time with Time Machine
One of the tools already included in Apple devices, then free and at your complete disposal, is the time Machine. Using it you will be able to perform the backup of your hard drive, even restoring old versions of deleted or lost data.
We rely on the fact that this utility is already configured, but to be sure click on its clock icon top right and head up Open Time Machine preferences. If enabled, next to the option Back up automatically there should be the tick in the box.
In this case, to restore files deleted from the recycle bin you will need to:
- To open Finder (bottom right) and go back to the folder where the files were located
- Click on the clock icon of time Machine and select Enter Time Machine from the drop-down menu that opens
- Select the version of the document to recover by scrolling on the time bar
- Right-click on it and select Restore, saving it in the folder of your choice
- At the end of the procedure, exit the Finder pressing the button Cancel
How to recover files once the Recycle Bin of Windows and Mac is emptied
Files that are moved to the Recycle Bin can be restored by running fast and effective procedures, without the need to download any software.
However, the discussion changes when the recycle bin is emptied and that data is apparently lost forever.
In fact, they exist several programs that allow you to recover files deleted from the Recycle Bin, one of them is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, a wonderful tool that allows you to restore data in just a few steps:
- Select the storage disk where important files have been deleted.
- Click "Scan".
- The program immediately starts a scan to look for the deleted files on the disk.
- You can use the option "Filter”To filter a specific type of file, such as: Photographs, Documents, Videos, etc.
- You will have preview of all files displayed.
- Click "Recover”To restore the found files.
It is recommended not to save the found data on the original disk, to avoid overwriting the files.
Frequently asked questions
If you still have any doubts, we invite you to consult the following list containing the most frequently asked questions about it:
How to recover files deleted from the Windows recycle bin?
Files that have been moved to the recycle bin using the “delete”Can be immediately recovered. The easiest and fastest way to restore deleted files is through the classic process: right click and "restore". This way, everything that was trashed will reappear in its original folder.
Can I recover files deleted from the emptied recycle bin?
Yes, and you can recover them in two ways. The first method is through special tools made available by the versions of Windows 7, 8.1 and 10:
- Restoration, present in the control panel, which allows you to restore the system to a desired time.
- File history, also located in the control panel, which allows you to do the file backup, allowing us to recover what we had lost.
The second process takes place with the aid of specific software, some of which are to be downloaded:
- Recuva, to be downloaded on an external memory stick, offers the possibility to recover deleted files.
- Undelete Plus, which allows you to search for lost files.
- Easy recovery, which lets you recover and restore all the data we want.
Why are the deleted files not present in the recycle bin?
Usually, when we delete files they go directly to the Recycle Bin. Sometimes, however, it may happen that some data is deleted directly without going through the Recycle Bin. But when can this happen?
- When we delete files via keys “Shift”+”Delete”.
- If the files and folders we want to delete are too big for the current size of the Trash.
- The Trash is too full.
How to change the capacity of the Recycle Bin?
To prevent our files from being permanently deleted due to the limited space available in the Recycle Bin, we recommend change the settings of the latter. So, to change the amount of storage you need to:
- Right click on the Trash icon.
- Select Property.
- Select the partition available on your computer.
- Type a specific space in MB in the field Custom size.
How to repair a damaged Recycle Bin and restore lost data?
When the Recycle Bin stops working reporting the error "damaged"It may be impossible to use it. So how can you fix it? Removing all permissions and reinstalling the Recycle Bin:
- Right click on desktop and select Customize.
- click on Themes.
- Click on the desktop icon settings in Related Settings.
- Select Trash can.
- Click on Apply.
Once the Recycle Bin is restored, it is recommended to open it to check if the deleted data is in it. If not, you need to enlist the help of a special software to recover the lost data. You can download it for free EaseUS Data Recovery Data and set it up by following the steps below:
- Download and install the software.
- Specify the location of the lost data and click "Scan".
- Click the desired option.
- Confirm by clicking "Recover."
How long does it take to recover the data once the recycle bin is emptied?
When a file is initially deleted, it comes moved to the Trash for 30 days, after which it is automatically deleted. As we have seen, once the data has reached this stage, the help of special software is required to recover them.
Il time we have available to restore data once the Recycle Bin is emptied depends largely on how the computer is used and how much empty space the computer has available.
In general, we recommend close all non-essential applications and focus solely on data recovery.
We hope that our advice has been useful to you, and that you have managed to get back the files that you have unfortunately removed from the recycle bin.