The best USB data recovery software
The most efficient and fastest way to recover data from a damaged memory stick is by relying on one of the specially designed programs. We have chosen and reviewed for you the three that we believe have one higher success rate.
To learn more about recovering broken devices, we recommend that you also read our tutorial on how to restore damaged hard drives.
It is a recovery program easy to use, efficient and available in the double version: free of charge (at $ 89 or $ 399). Compatible with both Windows than Mac, it has the best recovery algorithms which also includes FAT32, EXT, ExFAT, HFS + or NTFS files.
We recommend that you download it from the official Cleverfiles website, install it and focus on its Undelete Protected Data, Quick Scan or Deep Scan options to carry out more or less in-depth searches of your lost data. In fact, the procedure does not require particular computer skills, as it suffices:
- Launch the software on your PC
- Connect the USB pendrive and select its name from the main DiskDrill screen
- Choose the type of scan, although we recommend that : Deep Scan
- Press on Recover and await its end
- Examine the list of recoverable files, divided by categories and select the ones you want to restore
- Press on Recover to and locate the destination folder
- Complete the process by clicking on Recover
Simple isn't it? Now you will have a way to reuse the data you thought was lost forever.
This software is among the most appreciated by industry experts, capable of recovering in 3 simple steps data from USB such as SanDisk, Kingston, Toshiba, PNY or Sony. Available for both Windows PC and Mac, to take advantage of its benefits for free, just download it from the official website.First things first: Install it on your device, but even before starting it, connect your flash drive to your computer.
Lanciate quindi EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, indicate the USB in question and wait for the scan performed by the software. It is important to know that depending on the amount of files contained, the process could take a shorter or longer duration.
Finally you will have in front of you the files that can be recovered from the stick, s is enoughelect their names or view small previews. Now you just have to click on Recovery and indicate the desired destination.
A completely viable alternative is the Lazesoft software, completely free, efficient and very easy to use even by the less experienced. Particularly suitable for devices MacOS, it will allow you to recover any type of data from both fixed devices and USB sticks.
You can get back file systems like FAT, FAT32, NTFS, EXFAT, with a few simple steps, restoring and repairing even the long-broken pen drives. Then download it from the Lazesoft official page, install it on the device and then drag it into the middle of the Applications.
First, connect your damaged USB stick, start the software and choose the item File Recovery. Select your portable device, press on Finish and wait for the scan to finish.
To conclude: Lazesoft meticulously reorders the files you can recover, showing you the split data in the preview on the left by categories. Then select the ones you want to restore, indicate the destination on your Mac and finish the process by pressing on Save Files.
How to repair virtual damage of a USB stick
You are probably wondering why your USB stick suddenly broke, even though you have been very careful not to cause any physical damage to it. Well, in most cases the damage is due to an incorrect procedure of removing the device: a sudden disconnection, resulting in loss of virtual damage.Safe removal of the key: To perform a correct and undamaged disconnection, the procedure to be followed is: right click on the USB icon next to the clock at the bottom right - click on Safely Remove Hardware - Eject and wait for the message "You can now remove the device”Before physically removing the USB.
However, if your key already has obvious virtual damage, it is still possible to restore the device, even if you suffer a consequent loss of data. The most suitable remedy is the Error Check made available by Windows:
- Press on Home and choose the item File Explorer
- Select the name of yours USB not working
- Right click and choose the option Property
- From the tools item, press the button Check it out under the Error Check option
- Press on Analyze and reset the unit and wait for the end of the procedure and the possible restart of the device
Also the recovery on Mac it's not that difficult, just rely on SOS bootable from the Launchpad Disk Utility. From there, you will have to select the USB drive, press the SOS button and perform an analysis and then the reset.
If the previous method did not give you positive results, then the only way you have to restore your damaged USB is by formatting it. The methods are somewhat simple, but they involve the total loss of data from the pen drive. So let's see the different procedures based on the computer used:
- Windows: press on Home, you open File Explorer and select yours USB Pressing on it with the right choose the item Format and select Start
- Mac: Choose the voice Disk Utility dal Launchpad, select the USB and perform an analysis by clicking on Initialize. Select the item MS-DOS (FAT) I awarded her Format.
Key with obvious physical damage
If at first glance your portable device appears to be damaged or if by shaking it it seems that some internal parts have come off, the only remedy is a visit to a professional. We are almost certain that virtual recoveries will be unsuitable and that is why we recommend that you consult an expert.
Only after the physical damage has been repaired will you then be able to perform any hardware restores, still being able to use your USB.
USB key not recognized? Here's how to recover your data
USB sticks are small computing devices that have the ability to hold a large amount of data. These small and compact objects are among the most popular and widespread portable mass memories, also because they are practical to use and easy to carryin fact, they can be easily slipped into your pocket.
With their popularity, however, USB sticks also have a number of common problems, many of which are due to physical damage or are a consequence of poor maintenance.
Let's see what they are together the main causes that lead a USB stick to no longer work, and what are the various methods to be able to repair it.
“USB device not recognized”, what does it mean?
When a USB flash drive has problems, visible or not, it could happen that the computer encounters difficulties in reading it. From here, we are generally inclined to draw conclusions and conclude that the device is not working. But how can we be sure?
Usually, when a key has been damaged and is then connected to the computer, you can read error messages on the screen, such as: "USB device not recognized", but what does it mean?
This means that Windows does not recognize the device connected to the computer and, consequently, is unable to access the information contained therein.
What are the causes that damage a USB stick?
A flash drive may not be recognized by the pc for various reasons. The damage that the small device reports is not always clearly visible, therefore, you have to proceed by trial and error. An error message such as "USB device not recognized" may appear for the following reasons:
- Il driver USB could be damaged.
- I controller USB may have become unstable.
- The PC may require a updating related to problems connected with external hard disk USB and Windows.
- La motherboard PC may need updated drivers.
- Windows may need updates related to issues concerning hardware e software.
How could such problems be solved?
As mentioned, sometimes you have to try to fix a compromised USB problem by trial and error if you don't know what the damage is.
Below, we report the most effective and popular methods that are performed by other users to solve these types of problems:
Repair the damaged driver
To solve the problems related to the currently loaded USB drivers that are corrupt you must:
- Going up "Start"> "Device Manager"
- From the list of hardware components select "Disk drive"
- Uninstall the USB external hard drive that has the problem
- Disconnect the USB cable
- Wait 1 minute before connecting it again
- Check for the presence of the USB drive.
Reinstall the USB controllers
By doing this they come fixed issues related to USB driver becoming unstable. Therefore, we must:
- Select "Start" and type "Device management"
- Expand USB controllers e Uninstall. Repeat for each device
- After the operation, restart your computer
- The USB controllers will be installed automatically.
Install the updates present in Windows 7
By following this method conflicts between USB hard drives and Windows will be resolved. Must:
- Go to KB 976972: You may experience problems transferring data via USB from a computer running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset installed and has at least 4GB of RAM.
- Download the update package which corresponds to the version of Windows 7.
- Select "Continue"> "Download"> "Open"
- Go to KB 974476: Computer hangs when resetting a USB device from USB Selective Suspend state in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Select "Quick update ".
- Select the version of Windows 7.
- Enter your email address in the boxes below.
- Enter the verification word.
- Request a quick update.
- Download the hotfix received by e-mail.
- Follow the instructions.
- At the end of the operation restart your computer.
Upgrade the motherboard
By following this method you will be able to update the motherboard chipset drivers, so that the PC recognizes the USB stick. The operation to follow is:
- Get the motherboard manufacturer name.
- visit website support.
- Find suitable drivers for the motherboard.
Install the latest Windows updates
To install the latest updates for the USB external hard drive you must:
- Select "Windows Update" in the search box
- click on "Check for updates"
- Select "Review optional updates"
- Select "Install updates"
- Follow the instructions to perform the updates
- If requested, restart your computer.