Finding the hospots
As I said at the beginning, to date the only concrete way to have unlimited Internet on your mobile is to rely on hotspots. In every city of cities (and not only), especially in the larger ones, there are many. Being able to find them is quite simple, just look around to be able to see the presence of special billboards that indicate the thing as well as stickers and various indications.
Said like this, I know, it may seem a bit like a treasure hunt and that is why, to simplify things for you, I have decided to point out, below, some applications specifically used for this purpose. These are essentially resources that show the hotspots present in a given area directly on the map and that you can therefore use to locate them more easily and above all even from a distance, directly from the display of your mobile phone.
- Instabridge (Android / iOS) - Excellent application belonging to the category in question that can allow you to identify the hotspots in the area by sending you specific notifications based on the movements made. If you need to make the app work offline, you can also set up destinations and new Wi-Fi points. It is free to download.
- Wiffinity (Android / iOS) - Another resource belonging to the category to be used to find the hotspots in the area. It also allows you to connect to them without having to go through the settings of the device used. It is free to download.
- WiFi Map (Android / iOS) - A very famous app belonging to the category in question which, as the name implies, allows you to find wireless access points throughout the globe based on user reports. It also allows you to load maps with hotspots on the device so that you can also consult them offline. It is free to download.
- OpenSignal (Android / iOS) - The main purpose of this app is to allow you to define the degree of reception of 2G, 3G and 4G lines in the area but considering that it also integrates a useful tool to find the surrounding free wireless networks it can also be very useful for the purpose in question. To use it in this sense, just press on the appropriate item you find in the card Find signal of the app and explore the map.
- Facebook (Android / iOS) - I bet you would never have said that but the Facebook app can also be particularly useful for finding Wi-Fi hotspots in the area. In fact, the application integrates a special function which you can access by tapping the button with the three lines horizontally placed on the right and tapping on the item Find Wi-Fi annexed to the section Explore of the new screen displayed (if you can't find it, first press on Other…). Once this is done, you will be shown a map indicating the various free Wi-Fi in the area. As known, the download and use of the app are free.
- Datally (Android) - Although conceived in the first place to keep GB consumption under control, this application, created directly by Google, also allows you to find free (and not) Wi-Fi networks in the area. To do this, just press the button Find Wi-Fi attached to the main screen, identify the network of interest and press the relevant wording Connect and it's done.
Apart from applications, various Internet sites are also available on the web, useful for identifying hotspots in the area. In most cases, however, these are portals that are not optimized for mobile. This does not mean that you cannot visit them directly from your mobile phone but as you can easily guess their visualization and use will not prove to be optimal as the above applications can be.
In any case, if you are interested in it, you can consult my article on how to find hotspots through which I have proceeded to talk to you about the matter in more detail.
How to connect to hotspots
Have you found one or more hotspots in the area and now you would like to understand how to be able to establish the wireless connection in order to have unlimited Internet on your mobile? Then follow the ad hoc instructions that you find below for what concerns Android, iOS and Windows Mobile and you will find out immediately.
- Android - Grab your Android smartphone, unlock it in such a way as to access the screen where there are the icons of all the applications and step on Settings (the icon with thegear). On the next screen, locate the section Connections / Wireless and networks, select the voice Wi-Fi / Wi-Fi settingscarry your ON the relative switch (if the function is disabled, of course) and take a look at the list of the various networks available. So identify the name of the one you are interested in, plug it in and press on Connect to establish the connection.
- iOS - Grab your iPhone, unlock it, access the home screen and tap on the icon of Settings (Quella with l 'gear). Therefore, he presses on his voice Wi-Fi present in the new screen displayed, brings up ON the relative switch (if the function is disabled) and take a look at the list of networks that may be available. Then identify the name of the one you are interested in, press it and wait a few moments for the connection to be made.
- Windows Mobile - Grab the device, unlock it, log in to Start menu, stop on Settings, select the voice Wi-Fi e carries his ON the relative setting lever (if disabled) then select the name of the network to which you intend to connect from the list that is proposed to you.
I would also like to point out, in case you have not noticed by yourself, that by using the system settings of the various mobile platforms mentioned above you can also find additional hotspots in the area to which you can connect without resorting to various apps and sites. To do this, you just need to access the screen where there is a list of available wireless networks and locate those without the symbol of padlock following that, in fact, are freely accessible.
Further solutions to have unlimited Internet on your mobile
As anticipated at the beginning of the guide, in the current state of things no mobile line manager has a list of offers that allow you to have unlimited Internet (in the true sense of the term) on your mobile phone, which is why I have chosen the solutions of above.
The situation is different for fixed telephony. In fact, you must know that some cittàn providers allow their customers to surf the Internet in an unlimited way and outside the home by offering the possibility of accessing exclusive hotspots now present almost everywhere. If you think it might interest you, please read on. In fact, below you will find indicated the managers who at the time of writing this article offer this type of services to their subscribers.
- Fastweb - If you have activated a Fastweb offer on your fixed line, ADSL or Fiber, (and only in this case even if you have activated a Fastweb offer for mobile), you can access the Wi-Fi hotspot network called WOW FI which is entirely based on sharing the home connection of the various community members. The password to access the various hotspots is provided directly by Fastweb and must be entered only at the time of the first access. Through the MyFastweb app for Android and iOS it is also possible to find on the map the areas covered by the WOW FI network and view the history of the connections made. For more details on the service you can connect to the appropriate Web page. If you do not have a Fastweb line yet, if you are interested in this and if you wish to receive some advice on the various offers in the price list, you can take a look at my guide on the subject.
- Vodafone - If you have an active ADSL or Fiber offer with Vodafone on your landline, you can access the hotspots of the FON network as well as the access points of the Vodafone Wi-Fi Community. To use the service, you must have a Vodafone Station 2 or a Vodafone Station Revolution and register on the operator's website. For more info on the service, you can consult the appropriate web page. If, on the other hand, you have not yet activated a Vodafone subscription and you want to know the offers available, you can take a look at my guide on the subject.
- Tiscali - Tiscali also gives its ADSL and fiber subscribers the opportunity to connect free of charge to the hotspot network generated by the customers part of the community. The service is called Tiscali Social WiFi and activation occurs automatically for all those who have a Wi-Fi modem provided by the operator. For further details you can consult the specific web page. For further information on the Tiscali offers you can instead refer to my guide on the subject.
Those mentioned above are currently the only operators in the city that allow you to have unlimited Internet using their hotspot network. However, this certainly does not exclude the possibility that other operators may do the same in the future. So, to stay up to date in this regard, as well as on the various Internet offers of the moment, I strongly recommend that you visit the section dedicated to ADSL and optical fiber on a periodic basis. Sos Rates, the well-known comparison site that allows you to compare the costs and characteristics of all the offers of cittàn providers and to easily identify the best solution according to your needs.
How to have unlimited Internet on your mobile