Open DOCX files with Word
If you want to open DOCX files and are willing to purchase one latest version of Microsoft Office the first thing you need to do is click here to connect to the suite's official web page and choose the version you prefer the most.
- 365 Office Staff - costs 69 euros / year or 7 euros / month and contains all the applications of the suite for Windows, macOS and mobile devices (to be used on a single computer and a single portable device) + 1TB of space on OneDrive and 60 minutes of Skype calls to mobile phones and landlines for 1 user.
- Office 365 Home - costs 99 euros / year or 10 euros / month and contains all the applications of the suite for Windows, macOS and mobile devices (to be used on 5 computers and 5 portable devices) + 1TB of space on OneDrive and 60 minutes of Skype calls to mobile phones and landline phones for 5 users. You can try it for free for 30 days without renewal (just click on the button try free).
- Office Home & Student 2016 - the classic version of the suite for PC or Mac. It costs 149 euros one-off. It does not include updates to later versions of the suite, mobile apps and online services such as Skype and OneDrive.
Once you've chosen the version of Office that's right for you, confirm your willingness to purchase the suite or download the free trial version and log in with your Microsoft account. In case you don't already have a Microsoft account you can find out how to create one by reading my guide on how to create a Microsoft account.
Once logged in, select a payment method among those available (eg. paper o PayPal), review the information inferred and confirm to make the payment or activate your initial trial of Office (until the expiry of the first 30 days of subscription, you will not have to pay anything, but in order not to be charged you will have to deactivate the subscription before the end of the trial). After payment, you can download the new version of Office on your computer and you can proceed with the installation of the suite.
Once the installation is complete, just open Word, click on the item Fillet in the upper right part of the window that appears, click Apri ... from the menu shown and select the DOCX file you want to open from the list of available files. At this point you will finally be able to view your DOCX file.
I also point out that Microsoft Word is available as an app for smartphones and tablets. It is compatible with Android, iOS and Windows 10 Mobile and is free for all devices 10.1 ″ or smaller.
If any step is not clear to you and / or you want more information on how to download Word, read the tutorial I dedicated specifically to the topic.
Open DOCX files with Word Online
If you don't prefer to buy a newer version of Microsoft Office you can open DOCX files by taking advantage of Word Online.
To open DOCX files using Word Online click here to connect to the Web page to access the service, press the button Sign in with a Microsoft account and enter the data relating to your Microsoft account or press the button Log in with a work or institution account to access the service with a work or institution account. If you don't already have a Microsoft account, you can create one instantly by following the guide I suggested you consult in the previous lines.
Proceed by uploading the DOCX file you want to open to your Dropbox or OneDrive account. If you don't know how to upload files to Dropbox you can read my guide on how to use Dropbox while if you don't know how to upload files to OneDrive click here to access the service using your Microsoft account, press the button Charge located at the top left, select the file to upload and then click the button Choose.
In the Word Online window presses the button Open from OneDrive o Open from Dropbox depending on where the DOCX file you want to open is located and select the DOCX file you want to view. In a few moments the DOCX file will be opened and you will be able to view it without problems.
Opening DOCX files with LibreOffice
To open DOCX files you can also opt to use LibreOffice, a free and open source alternative to Microsoft Office that is very functional and allows you to open the type of file in question. It is compatible not only with Windows, but also with macOS and Linux.
To download LibreOffice on your computer, connect to the suite's official website and click on the button Download version xx placed in the center of the page. If you are using a Mac, also click on the button Translated user interface, which is used to download the cittàn language pack of LibreOffice (which in the Windows version, however, is included "as standard" in the program installation package).
Now wait for the program download to start and complete. After that if you use a PC Windows, open the file LibreOffice_xx_Win_x64.msi click her cousin NEXT and then NEXT, Install, Yes e end to conclude the setup.
If you use a Mac, open the file LibreOffice_xx_MacOS_x86-64.dmg, drag LibreOffice in the folder Applications macOS and start the program by right clicking on its icon and selecting the item apri from the context menu (this operation is only necessary at the first start, to bypass macOS restrictions against software from non-certified developers).
After starting LibreOffice for the first time, close it by pressing the key combination cmd + q on your computer keyboard. Then open the language pack LibreOffice_xx_MacOS_x86-64_langpack_it.dmg, fai clic destro sull'eseguibile LibreOffice Language Pack and start the latter by selecting the item apri give the menu answer.
In the window that appears on the screen, click the buttons apri e Install, select the voice /Applications/LibreOffice.app and click again on Install. If an error appears that "your account does not have the necessary privileges", click on Yes, identify me, type the Password of your user account on macOS and click OK per due volte I followed.
From now on, you can open DOCX files without any problems by simply launching LibreOffice, clicking on the entry apri fillet present in the left sidebar and selecting the file you want to open.
Open DOCX files with WordPad
If you are using Windows version 7 or higher, you can also open DOCX files with WordPad: the text editor included “standard” in the Microsoft operating system. It does not allow you to view the formatting of more advanced documents correctly, but it is still worth considering.
To open a DOCX file with WordPad, all you have to do is start the program by searching for it in the menu Home, go to the menu File> apri located at the top left and select the DOCX document to view.
Open DOCX files on smartphones and tablets
Would you like to open DOCX files directly from your smartphone or tablet? No problem: in addition to the mobile version of Word I told you about earlier, there are several apps that allow you to do this.
- AndrOpen Office (Android) - is a port of OpenOffice, the famous "free" suite on which LibreOffice is also based, for Android. Its interface is not perfectly optimized for touch, but its functions are truly innumerable. It's free.
- Polaris Office (Android/iOS) - it is a productivity suite that, in its free version, allows you to view all major Office file formats. It supports all major cloud storage services.
- WPS Office (Android/iOS) - another productivity suite compatible with Android and iOS, which allows you to view, create and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint files in a very simple way. It is free to download and use and supports all major cloud storage services.