How to make FaceTime video calls with iPad
FaceTime is the first solution you can consider for videochiamare with iPad. The app in question is installed as "standard" on all Apple devices (and available, if necessary, also on the App Store) and allows you to call and video call people who, in turn, have a company device of the "bitten apple" with FaceTime configured.
Unlike what many think, FaceTime works without having to connect it to an active number on the device in use and, therefore, after having activated and configured it correctly, it can also be used for video calling with iPad without SIM.
If you think this is the solution that best suits your needs, take your iPad, tap on the icon rotella d'ingranaggio, to access the Settings iPadOS, select the option FaceTime and move the toggle next to the option FaceTime da OFF a ON (You may be charged for an international SMS, usually € 0,30), to activate FaceTime.
At this point, start the app in question by pressing on its icon (the white video camera on green background), tap the button +, top left, enter the name or telephone number of the person you intend to video call in the field A: and press pulsating Video, to start the video call. To learn more, you can check out my guide on how FaceTime works.
How to video call with Skype on iPad
Videochiamare with Skype with iPad is another valid solution that you can consider to call and video call all the people of your interest who, in turn, have a Skype account and have downloaded the app in question on their smartphone, tablet or computer (regardless of the system operating used).
I also point out that Skype is integrated into smart devices produced by Amazon and it is possible to video call those with a screen (eg devices of the Echo Show family). To learn more, I leave you to my guide on how to call with Alexa.
After downloading Skype from the App Store, start the app in question, press the buttons Start e Log in or create account; then enter the data associated with your account in the fields Skype, Telefono and email e Password e fai tap sul pulsating Log in, to login. If you don't have an account yet, select the option Click here to create one and follow the instructions shown on the screen to create a Microsoft account.
After logging into Skype with your account, allow the app to access your contacts and use your device's microphone and camera by pressing the buttons Continue e OK. Once this is done, tap on the item Call located in the menu at the bottom left, locate the contact of your interest and press on the relative icon of the video camera, to start the video call.
Alternatively, tap on the option People, groups and messages, write the name of the person you want to call in the field Search and select the latter from the search results. In the new screen that appears, tap the icon of video camera, at the top right, and wait for the person you contact to answer your call.
During a conversation, you can switch from a video call to an audio call (and vice versa) by tapping on the icon video camera placed at the bottom. By pressing, instead, on the icon of microphone, you can activate / deactivate the microphone of your iPad, while the icon of the red handset it is used to end the video call. To learn more about how Skype works, I leave you to my in-depth guide.
How to video call with Facebook Messenger with iPad
Among the solutions you can consider to make a video call with iPad there is also Messenger, the Facebook messaging service that allows not only to send text messages but also to make calls and video calls to all users registered on the famous social network.
After downloading the app in question from the App Store (in this regard, my guide on how to download Messenger may be useful), start it by tapping on its icon (the colorful speech bubble on white background) present on the home screen of your iPad and, if the Facebook app is also installed on the latter and you are logged in to your account, tap the button Continue eat [nome].
If not, enter your Facebook account details in the fields Phone number or email e Password and press pulsating Log in, to login. If you don't have a Facebook account yet, select the option instead Create new account, to create one.
After logging into Messenger with your Facebook account, select the option People and first contact name that you intend to video call. Alternatively, access the section Chat, write the name of the person of your interest in the field Search and select the latter from the search results.
In both cases, in the new screen displayed, tap the icon of video camera, at the top right, if necessary allow Messenger to access the microphone and camera of your iPad, and wait for the answer from the user you are calling.
During the video call, if you wish, you can activate / deactivate the microphone and video camera of your iPad by pressing on the respective icons. To end the video call, instead, tap on the icon of red handset. To learn more, I leave you to my tutorial on how to make video calls with Facebook.
How to video call with WhatsApp with iPad
If you are wondering if it is possible videochiamare with WhatsApp with iPad, I'm sorry to tell you that the answer is no since the famous messaging service is not available as an application for the Apple tablet.
The only solution to use the service in question on iPad is to sign in to Web WhatsApp, the interface that allows you to access WhatsApp directly from the browser and can repeat the content of the WhatsApp app installed on the phone. However, you should know that WhatsApp Web has limited functionality and does not allow you to call or video call your contacts.
Finally, I point out that it is possible to download WhatsApp on iPad by installing third-party applications. Even in this case, however, it is not possible to make video calls since these apps do nothing but "replicate" WhatsApp Web.
Other apps for video calling with iPad
In addition to the solutions I have indicated to you in the previous paragraphs, you will be happy to know that they exist other apps for video calling with iPad. Here, then, is a list of other applications that might be right for you.
- Telegram: the famous instant messaging application available for smartphones, tablets and computers also allows you to video call contacts who, in turn, have an account on Telegram. To find out more about how it works, I leave you to my guide on how Telegram works.
- Viber: is another valid application, also available for computers, dedicated to instant messaging. It also integrates call and video call functions via the Internet to other users subscribed to the service. I leave you to my guide on how Viber works to deepen the subject.
- Google Duo: is the Google application dedicated to Internet calls and video calls. It is completely free and allows you to contact all the people who, in turn, use Google Duo. In addition to the possibility of leaving a video message in case of no answer, the peculiarity of this application is that it allows you to view a video preview of the calling person. For more information, you can read my guide on how Google Duo works.
- Discord: is a messaging application mainly used by fans of online video games, available not only in the form of an application for smartphones and tablets but also accessible from a computer, either via browser or by downloading the appropriate software. Among its many features, it also allows you to call and video call other users subscribed to the service.
- Instagram: the famous photographic social network also allows you to call and video call other users. Since there is no specific Instagram app for iPad available, you need to download the iPhone application as I explained to you in my guide on how to download Instagram to iPad.