How to open ZIP files for free on Windows
If you are looking for a solution for open ZIP files for free on your computer, you are satisfied: below is a list of software for Windows that allow you to extract the contents of archives compressed in the aforementioned format (and not only) without having to spend even a cent. Seeing is believing!
Default Archive Manager
If you need to extract ZIP files on your PC, you can first make use of the default compressed archive manager di Windows. It allows, in fact, to compress and decompress files of this type in a simple and fast way.
To use it, right click on theZIP file icon in relation to which you wish to intervene and select the item Extract everything give the menu answer him if you press.
In the window that now appears on the desktop, click on the button Shop by Department and indicates the output location in which to extract the data, then choose whether to automatically show the extracted files at the end of the procedure or not, by ticking or leaving the appropriate box unchecked, and click on the button Extract.
Note that if the ZIP file you want to extract is password protected, you will also be asked to type it in order to decompress it.
As an alternative to what I have just indicated, you can extract the ZIP archives simply by double clicking on them, then dragging the files of your interest out of the window that has opened and dropping them in the output location you prefer.
Impossible to talk about free software for opening ZIP files without mentioning 7-Zip, the best free and open source alternative to all the most popular programs for managing compressed archives. It is compatible with the main compressed archive formats (ZIP, 7z, DMG, RAR etc.), including password protected and multi-volume archives, and also allows you to create new ones in ZIP and 7z format.
To download 7-Zip on your PC, connect to its website and click on the link Download located next to the item 64-bit x64 (if you are using 64-bit Windows) or next to the entry 32-bit x86 (if you are still using a 32-bit operating system).
Once the download is complete, open the .exe file obtained and, in the window that appears on the desktop, first click on the button Yes and then on the buttons install e Close, to complete the 7-Zip installation process. If you are asked to restart your PC, accept.
Now you can open any ZIP file with 7-Zip by right clicking on it icon, selecting the item 7-Zip is that apri from the menu that opens. Decide, therefore, whether to open the individual files contained in the archive, by double clicking on them, or whether to extract them in a folder of your choice: to do this you can drag the files out of the 7-Zip window or you can click on the button Extract located at the top left and then indicate the destination folder of the files using the button (...).
Alternatively, you can set 7-Zip as the default program for managing compressed archives and extract them with a simple double click on their icons.
Please note that trying to open password protected ZIP files, when extracting the archive you will be asked to type the latter to finalize the operation.
In addition to how I indicated earlier, using the 7-Zip context menu you can also select other options for extracting files. More precisely, choosing the option Extract here you can extract the files to the current location by selecting that Extract the files you can indicate an exact location on Windows in which to extract the files, while clicking on the wording apri you can extract some specific elements by dragging them out of the displayed window and dropping them in the output position of your interest.
How to open ZIP files for free on macOS
Let's now turn to the side Mac and, therefore, let's find out what are the tools available to open ZIP files for free on MacOS. You will find listed below those that, in my humble opinion, represent the best solutions in the category.
Also on macOS there is a predefined tool through which you can extract various types of compressed archives and create ZIP files. It is about Compression Utility.
To be able to use it, just right-click on theZIP file icon you want to open and select the item apri from the context menu. By doing so, the contents of the archive will be extracted to the current location.
Note that if the ZIP archive you want to open is password protected, you will be asked to enter it to complete the extraction procedure.
As an alternative to how I explained above, you can extract the ZIP archive of your interest also simply by double clicking on its icon.
Another Mac tool that you can use to succeed is cake. It is, in fact, an excellent free and open source software for macOS that allows you to extract archives in RAR, 7Z, LZMA, XZ, ZIP, TAR, GZIP, BZIP2, ISO, EXE, CAB and PAX format (including archives and multi-volume ones) and to create files in 7Z, ZIP, TAR, GZIP, BZIP2, DMG and ISO format. It should be noted that on the Mac App Store it is also available in a paid variant (costs 4,49 euros) which can be purchased to support the work of developers. In fact, it has no differences in terms of functionality.
To download Keka on your Mac, connect to its website and click on the button Download vx.x.xx. Once the download is complete, open the package .dmg ottenuto e trascina l 'Keka icon in the folder Applications macOS, then right-click on it and select the item apri for two consecutive times, so as to open the program going to circumvent the limitations imposed by Apple on non-certified developers (an operation that must be carried out only at the first start).
Now that you see the Keka window, drag theZIP file icon that it is your intention to extract, release the "grip" when you see the writing appear Release here to extract and waits for the extraction process to be completed. The contents of the compressed archive will then be saved in the same location as the source file.
Keep in mind that if the ZIP file you intend to extract is password protected, you will also need to type it in to finalize the operation.
In addition to as I have just indicated, you can extract the ZIP archives with Keka by right clicking on the icon of the file of your interest, selecting the items Open with> Keka from the context menu. Alternatively, you can also set Keka as the default program and open the archives with it by double clicking on their icons.
How to open free ZIP files online
The default solutions of Windows and macOS do not satisfy you, the idea of installing new programs to open ZIP files for free does not suit you and, therefore, you would like to understand if there is any ad hoc tool that can be used directly online? The answer is yes. To find out more, please read on.
The first tool to open free ZIP files online that I recommend you to consider is ezyZip. It works from any browser, requires no registration and allows you to create and open compressed archives in ZIP format, as well as 7ZIP, RAR, TAR, TAR.GZ, TGZ and JAR. However, it should be noted that it only allows you to select single files and that it does not allow you to open encrypted compressed archives. As for the privacy issue, the tool is run locally, so the file data, in fact, never leave the browser.
To use ezyZip, go to the home page of the service, click on the button Choose file and select the ZIP file that you intend to decompress, then click on the button Extract.
Once the decompression procedure is completed, to download the files contained in the archive, click on the button To save that you find next to the name of each of them, on the Web page subsequently displayed. If you have not made any changes to the default browser settings, the files will be saved in the folder Download Of computer.
Please note that for some types of files (eg images) preview viewing is also offered. To use it, click on the button Preview which you can always find in correspondence with the name of the extracted files.
Other solutions to open free ZIP files online
If you are looking other solutions working online to open ZIP files at no cost, I suggest you test the ones you find in the list below.
- Archive Extractor - is a free online service that allows you to extract files in ZIP, 7Z, ZIPX, RAR, TAR, EXE, DMG, ISO, MSI, NRG, GZ, CAB, BZ2, WIM, ACE format and other 54 types of compressed archives . It also supports password-protected and multi-part archives and also allows you to upload from Google Drive, Dropbox and via URL.
- B1 Online Archiver - it is a web service that not only allows you to open ZIP files but also supports other file formats, such as RAR, 7Z, DMG, TAR and many more. It is totally free and allows you to upload files with a maximum weight of 300 MB.
- Unzip-online.com - additional free online service that allows you to open ZIP files, but also RAR, 7Z and TAR archives. The only thing you need to take into account is that it does not allow you to upload files with a weight greater than 200 MB.
How to open ZIP files for free on Android
You often receive ZIP files by email and are looking for a way to open them on the go using your smartphone or tablet Android? No problem, there are several specific solutions you can count on. To find out more, read on.
If you are looking for an app through which you can open ZIP files for free on Android, I recommend that you consider Google files. In case you don't know it, I inform you that it is a file manager made available by “big G”, with a pleasant user interface and very easy to use, which also integrates a function to extract ZIP archives.
To scaricare and install the app on your device, visit the relative Play Store section and press the button Install. Then, start the app, selecting the relevant one icon which has been added to the home screen and / or drawer.
Now that you see the main screen of the app, select the location on your device or on the micro SD in it where the ZIP file you want to decompress is located, tap on thecompressed archive icon and, in the box that opens, tap the Extract button.
When the extraction is complete, press the button end, after which you will be able to access the files contained in the archive from the same location in which the latter is located. If you prefer to have the ZIP file removed once the extraction procedure is complete, also remember to check the box Elimina ZIP file.
Please note that if the ZIP file you intend to extract is password protected, you will be asked to enter it before proceeding.
Other solutions to open ZIP files for free on Android
Wheel other solutions to open ZIP files for free on Android? I'll settle you immediately! In the list below, in fact, you will find additional apps used for this purpose that you can evaluate to use.
- ZArchiver - it is a famous app through which you can create and open files in ZIP, RAR, BZIP2, GZIP, XZ, ISO, TAR, ARJ format and many more. It's totally free and incredibly simple to use.
- WinZip - is the Android version of one of the most famous and popular commercial utilities for Windows and macOS to compress and decompress ZIP archives and those in other formats. It's free, but offers in-app purchases (at a base cost of 80 cents) to unlock access to cloud storage services and other extra features.
- X-plore File Manager - is a great free file manager for Android. I recommend it as it also integrates a handy function that allows you to open ZIP files and extract their contents in a folder of your choice. It supports password-protected archives, multi-volume archives and also allows access to cloud storage services, such as Dropbox or Google Drive. Note that it is free, but offers in-app purchases (at the base cost of 1 euro) to unlock extra features.
How to open ZIP files for free on iPhone and iPad
Now let's find out how to open ZIP files for free on iPhone and iPad. Below you will find listed what I believe to be the most interesting solutions used for this purpose. Put them to the test now, I'm sure they will satisfy you.
To open ZIP files on iPhone and iPad without spending a penny, you can first turn to using the app Fillet, the default file manager of iOS / iPadOS (if you have removed the app from your device, you can download it again from the relevant section of the App Store) through which it is also possible to extract the archives compressed in the format in question. Note, however, that it does not support password protected archives.
To use File, start the app by selecting its icon (Quella with the white background and the blue folder) that you find on the home screen and / or in the App Library, then reach the position where the ZIP file you want to decompress is located, acting from the section Recent or from that Shop by Department.
Once you have found the ZIP file, click on the relative icon and waits for the extraction procedure to be completed. The extracted files will then be saved in the same location as the source archive.
As an alternative to how I explained to you a moment ago, you can extract the archive by making a firm and long press on its icon and selecting the item Extract give the menu that I will share.
Other solutions to open ZIP files for free on iPhone and iPad
If you are looking other solutions To extract ZIP files at no cost on iPhone and iPad, I suggest you take a look at the following list. In fact, you will find additional apps that, in my opinion, you would do well to take into consideration.
- Zip - it is a rather popular app for compressing and decompressing ZIP files on iOS / iPadOS. It features an intuitive user interface and integrates seamlessly with other iPhone and iPad applications. It also supports the opening of files in RAR, 7Z, ZIPX, TAR and GZIP format and the use of cloud storage services. It is free, but eventually it is available in a paid version (at a cost of 7,99 euros) that removes the advertisements and offers extra functions.
- WinZip - is the iOS / iPadOS version of the app to extract ZIP archives that I have already suggested for Android. It is free, very easy to use and allows you to work on other compressed archive formats, including 7Z and RAR. Note that it offers in-app purchases (at a cost of € 10,99) to unlock all the available functions.
- Readdle documents - it is a free file manager for iOS / iPadOS that allows you to manage and view files of various kinds, including ZIP files (even if password protected). It also supports cloud storage services (eg Dropbox, Google Drive and iCloud Drive) and local network devices. It's free, but offers in-app purchases (at a cost of € 54,99) to unlock full access to all functions.