How to find GPS coordinates
Before explaining to you how to enter the GPS coordinates on the navigator, we have to "step back" and see first how to find GPS coordinates. To succeed in this intent it is possible to use various services. I, however, advise you Google Maps, which is the most used free map service in the world. Let me explain how to use it on both mobile and computer to locate the exact GPS coordinates of a place.
Smartphones and tablets
If you prefer to act from smartphone or tablet, launch the official Google Maps app on your Android or iOS device and write the place name or address of your interest in search bar placed at the top.
At this point, if you have a device Android, keep your finger pressed for a few seconds on the red placeholder present on the map, taking care not to move it from its position. If everything went well, in the Google Maps search bar (top) you should see the geographic coordinates of the location of your interest.
If, on the other hand, you have a device iOS, know that you can get the GPS coordinates of your destination in the same way as seen on Android, but in this case they will not be displayed at the top of the screen, but within a menu that you will have to recall "manually".
After searching for the location of your interest in Google Maps, tap on name of the same, which should have appeared at the bottom, scroll to the bottom of the displayed screen and locate the GPS coordinates reported at the blue placeholder. Easier than that?
In case you want to deepen the subject and get further explanations on how to see the GPS coordinates on Google Maps or on how to find GPS coordinates, consult the guides that I linked to you, because they will certainly be useful to you.
In case you prefer to act from computer, know that you can locate the GPS coordinates on Google Maps in the same way as seen in the previous lines. To proceed, then connect to the Google Maps home page and type the place name or address of your interest in search bar located at the top left.
Now, to locate the GPS coordinates of the place you just searched for, right click on the red placeholder that appeared on the map and select the item What is it here? in the menu that opens: in this way you will be able to view various additional information on the location in question, first and foremost GPS coordinates. To be precise, the GPS coordinates of the location you have selected will appear fully automatically in a white box placed at the bottom of the page.
The procedure I have just described can also be used to locate the GPS coordinates of a place without having to first search for it on Google Maps. To do this, just click with the right mouse button in a geographical point of your interest, select the item What is it here? in the menu that opens and that's it.
If you want to deepen the subject and get further explanations on how to see the GPS coordinates on Google Maps and how to find GPS coordinates, consult the insights I have just linked to you.
How to enter the GPS coordinates on the smartphone navigator
Now it's finally time to find out how to enter the GPS coordinates on the smartphone navigator. Below you will find instructions on how to enter the coordinates you have identified on the main navigation apps available for Android and iOS.
- Waze (Android / iOS) - it is one of the best free navigators, purchased by Google in 2013, thanks to which it is possible to receive updated information on traffic, gasoline prices, speed cameras and much more, thanks to user reports. To enter and search GPS coordinates on Waze, start the app, tap on search bar at the top and enter the coordinates in the following format: Longitude: east is positive, west is negative e Latitude: north is positive, south negative. More info here.
- TomTom GO (Android / iOS) - this is the official app of the famous car navigator. To find a location using GPS coordinates, after starting the app, tap on the icon of map which is next to the search field located at the top, select the option Latitude Longitude in the menu that opens, and then digital in the standard format longitude, latitude in search bar (or paste them, if you previously copied them). More info here.
- Here WeGo (Android and iOS) - this is another famous smartphone navigator operated by the car manufacturers Audi, BMW and Daimler, thanks to which it is possible to find a location by entering its GPS coordinates. To do this, tap on the search bar placed at the top, type longitude, latitude (or paste the coordinates, if you had previously copied them), tap the button Search And that's it.
How to enter the GPS coordinates on the car navigator
After identifying the GPS coordinates of a location you want to reach, you want to know how to enter this data on the GPS navigator for cars what is in your possession? The procedure to follow varies according to the brand and model of navigator in your possession.
Usually, in many car satellite navigators, such as those of TomTom, to be able to enter the data relating to the GPS coordinates of a place, it is necessary to recall the search bar, set the search type to Latitude Longitude and write the coordinates of your interest using one of the supported formats, as indicated below.
- Degrees (dd °) - 49,5000 °, -23,5000 °
- Minutes (d ° m.m ') - 49 ° 30,0 ′, -123 ° 30,0 ′
- Seconds (d ° m's ") – 49°30’00"N, 123°30’00"W
If, on the other hand, you have a navigator Garmin drive, you should be able to find a place via GPS coordinates by going to the menu Where we go? > Categories> Coordinates, selecting the format of the coordinates to search, writing the previously identified coordinates and selecting the option View on the map.
If you want more detailed information on how to enter the coordinates in the navigator model in your possession, I suggest you consult the user manual in its sales package or visit the website of the manufacturer from which you purchased it (eg. TomTom , Garmin, etc.) and look there for instructions on how to use your navigator.
If you want, you could also try to do an Internet search for the procedure to follow, perhaps by searching "how to enter GPS coordinates on [make and model of your navigator]".How to enter the GPS coordinates on the navigator